Oregon has been participating in the National High School Mock Trial Competition (NHSMTC) since 1987, and Classroom Law Project is proud to be the state coordinator for Oregon’s competition.
2019 Oregon High School Mock Trial
Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse
1000 SW 3rd Avenue, Portland, OR 97204
Friday, March 15, 2019:
Students arrive 2:30pm
Round 1 begins at 4:00
Saturday, March 16, 2019:
Students arrive 7:30am
Round 2 – 8:30am
Round 3 – 11:15am
Final Round – 2:30pm
Teams Advancing to State
(in no particular order)
LaGrande High School Blue
Jesuit High School Gold
Grants Pass High School Blue
St. Mary’s School (Medford) Blue
West Linn High School Gold
Village Home School Blue
David Douglas High School Gray
Grant High School Blue
Catlin Gabel School Blue
West Salem High School Green
Jefferson High School Gold
Lincoln High School Red
Crater Academy of Health & Public Service Black
Sunset High School Gold
Riverdale High School Blue
St. Mary’s Academy (Portland) Blue
Sandy High School Crimson
2019 Mock Trial case materials are now available to the public:
Also, we will be following up with registered teams for further details in the next couple of weeks.
Useful Forms – Word versions of forms teams can download to practice with for trials.
Oregon High School Mock Trial Competition Basics:
- The Mock Trial case for the competition year is usually publicly released mid-late November.
- Teams can register for the Mock Trial Regional Competition any time during Fall Semester through the end of January.
- Starting the first week of February, Classroom Law Project hosts a Mock Trial Listserv where team coaches can ask questions and get clarifications about the case and where CLP makes weekly announcements. Any stipulations made on the Listserv supercede those in the originally published case.
- The Oregon High School Mock Trial Regional Competitions occur around the state the first week of March
- Current Mock Trial Regions:
- Lane County
- Deschutes County
- Jackson County
- Clackamas County
- Eastern Oregon
- Washington County
- Multnomah County
- Winners from the Regional Competitions then advance to the State Competition, usually held on a Friday evening & all day Saturday mid-March.
- The winning team at the State Competition go on to compete at the National High School Mock Trial Competition.
2019 Mock Trial Competition
- November 16 2018 – Registration for 2019 Competition Opens
- January 12, 2019 – Registration for 2019 Competition Closes
- February 1, 2019 – Mock Trial Q&A Form Opens
- February 9, 2019 – Sandy High School 2nd Annual Mock Trial Scrimmage Jamboree!
- February 22, 2019 -Mock Trial Q&A Form Closes
- March 2, 2019 – OR HS Mock Trial Regional Competitions
- March 15 & 16, 2019 – OR HS Mock Trial State Tournament
- May 16-18, 2019 – National HS Mock Trial Competition (Athens, GA)
Please have ONE teacher or coach register per team.
You will need the following information to register:
- Team School
- Team School’s Address
- Team School’s County
- Primary Team Contact Person (Name, Address, Email, Phone)
- Secondary Team Contact Person (Name, Address, Email, Phone)
- Names of all Team Attorney or other Coaches
- One Committed Community/Educator Judge who can serve at least 2 rounds in the Regional Competition (Name, Email, Phone Number, Address)
- Number of students on team
- Registration Fee (waived for first time teams)