Dear Classroom Law Project Community,
Like many of you, we have been closely following the news on the widespread measures being taken to reduce the potential spread of COVID-19, and we are reaching out to let you know where we stand concerning recent developments.
Specifically relevant to Classroom Law Project’s activities are the Governor’s announcement of a statewide ban on public gatherings of >250 people for the next four weeks, as well as both University of Oregon and Oregon State University canceling non-essential events and gatherings for more than 50 people. In addition, Oregon’s K-12 schools have canceled non-essential activities, field trips, and teacher professional development. Many of the national events in which our teachers and students participate have also been canceled.
Classroom Law Project has been working on contingency planning, and that continues to be our primary focus at this time. We have determined that we will need to cancel several program events over the coming weeks. A list of those is below. We are actively exploring ways to replace some of those with virtual programming and/or alternative future events so that we can continue to provide support for teachers and students with regard to civic engagement, particularly as we all work together to understand and deal with the new issues that we are facing.
We are committed to the safety of our community and the participants in our programs, and are taking necessary steps to protect that community. We will work to continue to bring high-quality civics education and programming to you during this period and will keep you informed as the situation develops — please feel free to contact us with any questions or creative ideas! We truly appreciate your understanding and patience as we move ahead together.
The Classroom Law Project Team
- CLP Program Events Canceled
- March 12 through May 1 — Courthouse Experience Tours (Multnomah County and Lane County)
- March 19 — We the Readers Book Club
- April 4 — Teacher Professional Development Workshop (OSU Cascades – Bend)
- April 13 — Law Day Conference for Students (PSU – Portland)
- April 17 — Law Day Conference for Students (OU Law School – Eugene)
- April 24 — We the People National Competition (Washington DC)
- May 6 — Mock Trial National Competition (Indiana)
- CLP Program Events Scheduled (until further notice)
- May 5 – June 2 Courthouse Experience Tours (Multnomah County and Lane County)
- May 29 — Project Citizen Showcase (State Capitol – Salem)
- Jun 22-24 — Summer Institute (PSU)
- May 21 — We the Readers Book Club
- Street Law